Sunday, April 4, 2010

Falling in Love with Paris... All Over Again.

Watched a truly wonderful movie tonight with my family (minus Chris, who is in Mississippi). It's called Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain). The story is of a young woman in Paris who decides to help those around her with their lives. The characters are endearingly odd and she ends up falling in love with a quirky young man who collects discarded photo booth pictures.

While the story is incredibly sweet and funny and is accompanied by a great soundtrack, the best part for me was the glimpses of Paris. I am truly a hopeless romantic, and I think the world can agree that if there is one city in the world that epitomizes romance and beauty, it's Paris. There's one scene where Amelie is leading her beau up a set of stairs in a park of some sort (I'm sure my cousin, the biggest francophile I know, would know exactly where it is) and Sacre Coeur gleams in the background against a brilliant blue sky. It was amazing. My favorite scene, I should say, is the last; Amelie and her love are riding his bike through the streets of Paris.

So now I want to go back to Paris. Desperately. I've found a dream of dancing down the Champs de Mars towards the Eiffel Tower and then riding a bike with my love through the streets of Paris. I'm going to need a baguette too.

No comments: