Sunday, December 7, 2008

Yo ho ho and a bottle of... coke...

Ahoy mateys! Welcome to the first installment of "You're killin' me Smalls." the literarily disturbing blog of a world traveler trying to keep Mom from freaking out. For those who are unaware, I'm Alyssa Montague, a 20 year old college student currently serving a few months aboard the USNS Yukon, an MSC oiler in the pacific. (MSC- Military Sealift Command, the US Navy's supply ships)

I reported aboard Friday afternoon around 1700 or so and already love it on board. The crew is great. Ten times happier than my last ship, and there's a ton of people, which can be confusing, but makes for a bigger bubble. Luckily for me, my good friend Jeff has already been aboard for a week and a half or so and knows the ropes pretty well. He's been awesome about helping me and my fellow new arrivals figure out what's going on. Which isn't to say I've figured it out yet, but the process is much easier with Jeff around. I've got my own room (tres nice, and tres messy), internet access (hence the blog), and I'm sharing a bathroom with one other girl, Sara, who's sweeter than homemade pecan pie. We just recently left San Diego for some UNREPs (Underway Replenishment, re-fueling Navy ships that are underway already) until we head for Honolulu next week.

And now I'm going to go to bed, since I have to get up tomorrow morning around 0500 for an UNREP, during which I'll have no idea what's going on. Wish me luck.

Love to my loves,

Alyssa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my....this is a good thing, right? Just kidding. I love reading your writing and it does keep down the number of Kleenex I use. Love you Smalls...Mom